About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Thursday, November 21, 2013

hubris.

If I was a super hero my fatal flaw would be pride.

Over the past week and a half, I've probably told about 5 people that, at 20+ weeks pregnant, I'm still running the same amount of mileage I was before I got pregnant.

Then Wednesday happened.

Pride cometh before the fall. 

My 4:45 am 5 mile run started out fine. Then at about a half a mile in the pain started. I knew instinctively that it wasn't the baby which would explain why I walked until it lessened and ran until I couldn't. Then I took my maternity belt off and the pain completely disappeared. I was able to run the rest of the way home.                       

Of course, my husband made me tell my Doctor at my appointment later that day. She gave me a look and then proceeded to tell me it sounded muscular and that if it continues I should stop running. I'm pretty sure all the color drained from my face and my breathing got a little funky at this point. She tried to make me feel better by telling me I could walk.

Obviously, she's not a runner.

The rest of the appointment went well. The baby is fine and other then the possibility of not running for the next 4 months, I am fine too.

I want to run. I secretly want people to praise me and be in awe of the fact that I'm still running. I want them to think I'm awesome.

Pesky pride.

Thankfully, I still have common sense and a low tolerance for pain. If I need to, I will stop running. I will cry. I will probably become a gym rat and practice more yoga. And I will definitely stop bragging about myself.

Now, I can only hope that my long missing ability to exercise self control will kick in and I won't eat my weight in cookies and other yummy holiday food. 

A girl can hope.

4 comments:

  1. I think you are amazing even if you don't run while you are pregnant. For many reasons that I won't go into right now. Brag. Brag that you made it as far as you did. Brag that you will make the right choice when you need to. Be prideful. You have every reason to as far as I am concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand the challenge. Right now I am 34 weeks and one of my fears was also not running. Remember it is temporary and runners have injuries all the time that hold them back from running. In a few months, when you run pushing a jogger, you'll become an even stronger runner!
    I have been writing about being a Pregnant Jock to help ease the pain and boast the normalcy of wanting and obtaining the goal of being uber athletic throughout pregnancy. I feel you and no, your doctor is not a runner if she compares walking with 4 months left to running. ;) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know that I'm not the only struggling with this. I think my biggest shock is being completely fine and then suddenly barely being able to run. I think I would have been better with a gradual descent :)

      Delete