About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Friday, January 17, 2014

#megsmiles

On January 13, 2014, a young mother of three headed out for her morning run.

She didn't make it back home.

Even though she was reportedly doing everything in her power to keep herself safe, running against traffic on a two-foot wide shoulder, she was hit and killed by a drunk driver.

Meg Menzies was a avid runner, a marathoner, a mother, and a wife.

Everything that I am.

From the moment I heard about this tragic event on Facebook, I have been trying to wrap my mind around it. I know that pedestrians, runners, and cyclists are often involved in accidents, but to have someone that could be my friend, that could be me, be killed while going out for a routine run is extremely disturbing.

My heart breaks for her children that have lost their mother, her husband that has lost his partner in life, her family, and friends. For her fellow runners that will miss the sound of her steps beside them.

What happened to Meg is tragic. It is painful. It is maddening. One person makes a bad decision, in this instance driving while drunk, and numerous lives are adversely affected.  

The heart of the matter is that you just never know. You can do everything right and still not make it through the day. Every moment that we have is a gift. It is sad that it would take the death of a vibrant, young mother to remind me of that.

A friend of Meg created a Facebook event, #megsmiles, encouraging runners to dedicate their miles on Saturday, January 18th in honor of Meg.

"Take in the fresh air, be aware of your surroundings, keep your headphones on low, feel the heaviness in your lungs, the soreness in your legs, and be grateful for it - for all of it. The sweat, the pain, the wind, the cold... everything. Be grateful for that moment."        

I haven't been able to run, really run, since before Thanksgiving. But I will log time and miles on the treadmill and elliptical tomorrow in honor of Meg. In honor of a mother and fellow runner who died doing something that she loved, that I love.

Rest in peace Meg. Thank you for reminding me about the gift of running, of gratefulness, and of the joy in this life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment