About Me

My photo
mother. marathoner. blogger. reader.

Monday, February 8, 2016

50k training: week 1

It was an interesting week.

On Tuesday, when my alarm went off at 4:50 am, I seriously considered skipping my run. I got over myself and ran 6 miles. 

On Wednesday morning, it was pouring and 60 degrees. Humidity in January. Why hello global warming, how are you? Wednesday is my stroller run day and even though I have a weather shield, I thought it would be cruel to drag the boys out in the monsoon. Then it started thundering and the decision was made for me. 

Thankfully, the weather cleared up and I was able to squeeze in 4 miles before dinner. As I was crossing the street I ran into a pack of college runners and like a total dork I attempted to keep up with them. They ran a sub 7:30 min pace like it was nothing. It probably was an easy day for them. Not so much for me. I had to practice my yoga breathing: In 1, 2, 3 Out 1, 2, 3. It made for the fastest 4 miles I have run in quite a while.

Thursday was a nice, wonderful early morning run with my running partner. Running with her guarantees that I get out of bed even though I'm on my 3rd day of running in a row. Plus, she makes me happy so it's a win/win.

I was able to squeeze in a trail run on Friday despite a crazy schedule, thanks to my obliging husband. When I create these training schedules or plan these races, I tend to forget that my family "runs" these miles with me. I never cross those finish lines by myself. If they weren't so supportive, I wouldn't be able to do this - it's that simple.

Saturday's long run was 10 miles. My running partner was down for the count with a stomach flu, so I was all by my lonesome. They were slow, uneventful miles but I got them done. 

Overall, it was a good week. It was a nice start to this crazy, chock full of miles schedule I have going on over here. My left knee is a tad bit unhappy but thankfully only after a run, not during. I'm icing it and blowing it kisses so it feels loved and appreciated. 

This week is the same weekly mileage, with 12 miles for my long run. The weather should be cooperative and I'm giving myself permission to hit the snooze button once.

Have a great week!

Week 2
6, 4, 4, Trails (2 and a little extra), 12

No comments:

Post a Comment